Golfers Elbow treatment in Dee Why
Golfers Elbow treatment at Contemporary Healthcare in Dee Why
Golfers elbow treatment at Contemporary Healthcare in Dee Why has been available for over 30 years with Dr Orazio Trevisan. In that time he has treated thousands of cases of Golfers elbow with an almost 100% success rate.
What is Golfers Elbow?
Golfers elbow is also known as medial epicondylitis. It is a condition which causes pain on the inside of your elbow. This condition is caused by damage to the muscles and tendons that move/control your wrist and fingers. The damage typically occurs due to repeated activity and stress in the area. This will quite often include forceful wrist and finger movements. Other factors related to the development of Golfers elbow include; improper lifting, throwing or hitting, along with poor conditioning and lack of flexibility. The repetitive activity creates constant pulling on the common flexor tendon of the forearm. This common flexor tendon inserts onto the inner part of the elbow which then becomes painful and inflamed.
What are the symptoms of Golfers Elbow?
- Pain on the inside of your elbow which may radiate down to your forearm and wrist
- Stiffness in the elbow
- There may be weakness in the hand and wrist
- There may be numbness or tingling in the fingers especially the ring and little fingers
- Pain can occur when using the forearm and hand with everyday use such as gripping a steering wheel, holding items such as a saucepan or swinging a golf club
Who does Golfers Elbow affect?
- It is most common in people with jobs involving repetitive movements of the arm. These include but are not limited to;
- Sports people who use a racquet such as tennis players
- Sports that rely on a throwing action such as baseball and football
- Sports involving lifting such as weightlifting
Treatment of Golfers Elbow at the Dee Why practice
Initially, treatment is aimed at managing the golfers elbow symptoms to give the quickest relief possible. This will generally include:
- Shockwave therapy – This will help with repairing tissue damage and swelling
- IASTM (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation) – This technique uses very specific instrumentation to break up scar tissue and aids in decreasing swelling
- Active release technique (ART) – this technique helps to break up adhesions and scar tissue in the affected tissues in the forearm and at the elbow.
- Adjustments/mobilisations to the elbow to improve mechanical function
After the initial symptoms are under control, treatment is aimed at identifying underlying factors which may have contributed to the golfers elbow including:
- Dysfunction of the wrist, shoulder and spine.
- Poor posture
- Poor ergonomics of the work environment
- Lifestyle factors
Success rates for treatment of Golfers Elbow at Contemporary Healthcare Dee Why with Dr Orazio Trevisan are almost 100%.
Contemporary Healthcare is a multidisciplinary practice that incorporates Chiropractic, Shockwave Therapy, Hypervibe Therapy, Applied Kinesiology, NET, Active Release technique (ART) and Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation (IASTM). It is located in Dee Why on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.
If you have any questions regarding Golfers Elbow or if you want to make an appointment, please call the Dee Why practice on 9971 4408.