Stress Management Dee Why
Stress Management in Dee Why at Contemporary Healthcare Northern Beaches Sydney
Stress Management in Dee Why at Contemporary Healthcare Northern Beaches Sydney forms an important part of treatment in many different conditions that we see in the practice. Chronic stress affects many aspects of our health including our posture, nervous system function, gut and many other organs in the body.
What is Stress?
Stress is a normal part of life and it helps us to get though difficult times, but it can also make us very sick. How well we deal with stress has a huge impact on our health and our sense of wellbeing. In our ancestral days, our stress response allowed us to get away from predators and survive. It was a short lived response that would switch off once we were out of danger.
Why in our modern day society has stress become a major problem?
Stress has become a problem in modern society because of a constant barrage of challenges placed on our minds and bodies on a daily basis. These challenges are often relentless from the time we wake up in the morning until the time we go to bed. Daily stresses can be divided into chemical, emotional or physical.
Chemical stress can come from:
- Toxins (from both the external environment and from our internal chemistry)
- Inflammatory foods
- Poor nutrition
- Electromagnetic fields from the environment around us. Examples include wi-fi networks and emissions from mobile phones
Emotional stress can come from:
- Financial pressure,
- Family issues
- Previous, often traumatic experiences that have happened in our lives.
Physical stress can come from:
- Injury (acute or chronic)
- Poor posture.
What parts of our body are affected by Stress?
Stress affects a part of our central nervous system called the Autonomic nervous system. This is the automatic part of our nervous system consisting of 2 parts, the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic systems.
Chronic stress leads to the Sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) being left on for long periods of time . This then affects many parts of our body including; parts of the brain, postural muscles, breathing, the gut, the adrenal glands, the thyroid, oestrogen levels, the gall bladder and the immune system.
Chronic stress also leads to suppression (switching off) of the Parasympathetic nervous system. This system is involved with rest, digestion, repair and reproduction.
What are some of the symptoms of Chronic Stress?
- Sensitivity to light leading to poor sleep and headaches
- Sensitivity to noise
- Increased muscle tone (tight muscles), especially around the shoulders, neck, jaw and calf muscles. These then lead to postural changes
- Digestion is suppressed leading to gut inflammation and symptoms of leaky gut. Over time this can lead to food sensitivities or allergies
- Signs of Adrenal fatigue. These include feeling constantly tired, difficulty getting out of bed, salt or sugar cravings, mood changes, low sex drive, slower recovery from injury or illness and feeling overwhelmed
- Signs of excess oestrogen. these include weight gain, inability to fall pregnant, heavy painful periods, sore breasts, low sex drive, polycystic ovarian syndrome, fibroids in the uterus and a menstrual cycle characterised by no ovulation
- Signs of an under-active Thyroid such as sensitivity to cold, fatigue, weight gain, dry skin, muscle aches, stiffness/swelling/painful joints, thinning hair, impaired memory
How an Integrative Chiropractor can help
As an integrative Chiropractor there are many tools that can be used to address both symptoms and causes of the stress.
- NET (Neuro-emotional Technique)
- Finding and removing inflammatory foods from the diet
- Prescribing supplements such as magnesium, adrenal herbs, gut healing herbs, natural anti-inflammatories.
- Spinal adjustments including treatment around the face, jaw and neck
- Improving posture
- Treatment of any physical injuries
- Stress management and lifestyle advice
- Assessment and improvement of breathing
- Assessment and improvement of sleep
Dr Orazio Trevisan has helped many thousands of patients in his Dee Why practice over the last 30 years with chronic stress. There have been some truly life changing transformations seen in his patients in that time.
Contemporary Healthcare is a multidisciplinary practice that incorporates Chiropractic, Shockwave Therapy, Hypervibe Therapy, Applied Kinesiology, NET, Active Release technique (ART) and Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation (IASTM). It is located in Dee Why on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.
If you have any questions regarding how we can help you better manage your stress, or if you want to make an appointment, please call the Dee Why practice on 9971 4408.