Wrist and hand injury treatment in Dee Why
Wrist and hand injury treatment in Dee Why at Contemporary Healthcare Northern Beaches Sydney
Wrist and hand injury treatment in Dee Why at Contemporary Healthcare Northern Beaches Sydney has been available for the last 29 years. The wrist and hand is a very commonly injured area and is vital to our ability to function on a daily basis as human beings. Chronic unresolved injuries may result in long-term problems or even a permanent disability.
When assessing injuries to the wrist and hand, it is critical to assess function at both the elbow and the shoulder as these joints play important roles in wrist function. At Contemporary Healthcare, Dr Orazio Trevisan has had great success in treating both acute as well as chronic wrist and hand injuries.
When assessing injuries to the wrist and hand, we also look at the relationship between this area and other vital structures.
- The Cervical spine (neck) which supplies the nerve input to all of the structures that make up the wrist and hand.
- The Thoracic spine (mid-back) and Lumbar spine (lower back) which form an important structural component to the wrist and hand. When we think about poor posture, this has serious implications in terms of the angle that our shoulder blades sit at and hence the carrying angle of the arm. This carrying angle will then dictate how we use our entire arm including the wrist and hand on a daily basis.
Common problems we treat in the wrist and hand include:
- Wrist sprains which commonly occur from falling on an outstretched hand. This will generally result in stretching or tearing ligaments in the wrist.
- Carpal tunnel
- Ligament sprains to the thumb and fingers
- Tendon strains in the wrist, thumb and fingers
- Tendon tears to the fingers, mallet finger (extensor tendon tear) and jersey finger (flexor tendon tear)
- Arthritis of the wrist and hand including osteoarthritis
- Pre and post surgical rehabilitation for trauma to the wrist, such as dislocations, simple fractures, or more complex problems where pins, plates and screws have been inserted.
- Chronic wrist and hand pain where people have been to see multiple practitioners with little or no improvement of their symptoms. Dr Orazio specialises in complex problems and has achieved wonderful outcomes for many patients.
- Nerve entrapment in the hand
- Peripheral neuropathy
- De Quervains tenosynovitis
Treatment of wrist and hand injuries
At Contemporary Healthcare we offer all of the latest ‘state of the art’ treatment modalities. Dr Orazio Trevisan has studied all of these techniques extensively both overseas and in Australia. These treatments have been used by him for over 20 years with absolutely amazing results.
The 3 most effective treatments of choice for wrist and hand injuries which set Dr Orazio apart from other clinicians and other practices are;
These treatments are used in combination to;
- Break down scar tissue
- Improve functional movement in the wrist and hand
- Improve functional movement between the wrist/hand and the elbow
- Improve functional movement between the wrist/hand and the shoulder
These 3 therapies are combined with a holistic whole body approach to health. Dr Orazio also looks at the body from a “5 pillar approach”. This 5 pillar approach is discussed below.
- Move better
- Dr Orazio Trevisan will assess your spine, upper and lower limbs, balance and movement patterns. Your body cannot function normally without proper movement.
- Think better
- Our mental health plays a huge part in how our body functions. Chronic stress affects both our posture and how our nervous system functions. Stress will often lead to long term activation of our ‘fight or flight’ response, along with a decrease in function in our ability to rest, digest, repair and reproduce.
- Eat better
- Have you ever thought about how your diet affects how you feel. An anti-inflammatory diet can be crucial in getting you better. An inflammatory diet that has a lot of processed foods may be part of the problem. Dr Orazio Trevisan will look at your diet and address the need for any changes. Dietary supplements may also help if your body is lacking in certain nutrients.
- Sleep better
- Some of us sleep very well but a large percentage of people don’t sleep well. We don’t often think about how our sleep affects our ability to recover from injury and disease. Dr Orazio Trevisan will look at your sleep patterns and may suggest ways to improve your sleep. It is also important to understand how a poor sleep pattern may be impacting your health and recovery.
- Breathe better
- Breathing forms an integral part of our bodily functions and keeps us alive. When we breathe properly it provides many positive effects with regards to our health. Poor breathing causes many acute and chronic health issues including spinal pain and poor oxygenation levels throughout our body. Dr Orazio Trevisan has been teaching proper breathing techniques for over 20 years and this forms an important part of any treatment program.
At Contemporary Healthcare, when a patient first presents to the clinic, a comprehensive history and examination will be done. There may be a need for further testing which may include x-rays, ultrasounds or MRI’s. If x-rays are needed, they are usually bulk billed at a number of radiology practices located nearby. Ultrasounds and MRI’s cannot be bulk billed and incur an out of pocket cost. Once a diagnosis has been established, your information is put together to form a management plan on the best way to treat and manage your condition.
Your management plan will look at how to manage your symptoms, help to prevent injury in the future and optimise your quality of life.
If you are looking for treatment for an injury to the wrist or hand in Dee Why, think Contemporary Healthcare. Contemporary Healthcare is a multidisciplinary practice that incorporates Chiropractic, Shockwave Therapy, Hypervibe Therapy, Applied Kinesiology, NET, Active Release technique (ART) and Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue mobilisation (IASTM). It is located in Dee Why on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.
If you have any questions regarding wrist and hand injury treatment or if you want to make an appointment, please call the practice on 9971 4408.